Get Ready for PT PlayFest 20!
March 3rd-13th – Tickets On Sale Below!
In addition to six premieres by local artists, two notable national playwrights will be workshopping their full-length plays in progress. In Richard Dresser’s War Stories, Master Sergeant Boyd Cassidy, a Vietnam vet, is in a high-end Phoenix hotel to finally receive the recognition he deserves after years of turmoil—until a knock at the door sends him into a horror more profound than anything he faced on the battlefield. Linda Dowdell and Denise Winter team up to create Port Townsend’s Christmas Carol: A Ghostly Musical. When Victorian Port Townsend’s most enterprising proprietress is visited by ghosts from her past and future, questions of conscience, family and community arise.
KCPT’s featured guest playwright this year is Darrah Cloud, whose play The Posthumous Democrat, the dramatic story of a composer, Catherine Starr, whose famous, connected conservative father leaves her a legacy both enormous and crippling, will be showcased on Festival Weekend.
Among the scripts receiving Working Drafts readings is, a new event this year, regional playwright Duane Kelly’s full-length play Escorting Tom in which Carol will be leaving her inept and isolated husband, but her secret plan to help him survive without her goes wildly off the rails.
Purchase a Pass Online!
Darrah Cloud is currently working on the musical adaptation of Willy Holtzman’s play, SABINA, with composer Louise Beach, in development at The Cell in NYC. Her full-length play, OUR SUBURB, was produced at Theater J in Washington, DC in 2014, and Center Stage in Rochester in 2015. Her play for teens, JOAN THE GIRL OF ARC, premiered at Cincinnati Playhouse in January, 2014, then toured. Other plays produced in New York, Europe and across the U.S. include WHAT’S BUGGING GREG?, THE STICK WIFE, THE MUD ANGEL, DREAM HOUSE, BRAILLE GARDEN and THE SIRENS.
Her musicals, written with composer Kim D. Sherman, include HEARTLAND, (Madison Repertory Theatre, The Majestic Theatre in Dallas, TheatreWorks Palo Alto) THE BOXCAR CHILDREN (Theatreworks USA, tour), HONOR SONG FOR CRAZY HORSE (TheatreWorks Palo Alto) and the stage adaptation of Willa Cather’s O PIONEERS!, which has received over 100 productions in the United States and was filmed starring Mary McDonnell for American Playhouse. She has won numerous awards, including the Macy’s Prize for Theatre for Young Audiences, an NEA and a Rockefeller. She has had over 10 movies-of-the-week produced on CBS and NBC, is a proud alum of the Iowa Writers Workshop and New Dramatists, and is the co-director of Half Moon Writers, the development wing of the Half Moon Theatre in Poughkeepsie, NY.
Festival workshops taught by Darrah Cloud March 12 & 13 – Read More
Thursday, March 10th
- 5:00 pm- 6:00 pm Playwrights Potluck (Free) at the Pope Marine
- 7:30 pm- 9:00 pm One-Act Productions ($15) at the Playhouse (TICKETS)
Friday, March 11th
- 11:00 am- 1:00 pm War Stories Reading ($10) at the Pope Marine (TICKETS)
- 1:30 am- 3:30 pm Port Townsend’s Christmas Carol Reading ($10) at the Playhouse (TICKETS)
- 2:00 pm- 4:00 pm Open Rehearsal for War Stories (Free) at the Pope Marine
- 4:30 pm- 6:00 pm Working Drafts- Local Playwrights ($10) at the Playhouse (TICKETS)
- 5:00 pm- 6:30 pm One- Act Readings ($10) at the Pope Marine (TICKETS)
- 7:30 pm- 9:00 pm An Evening with Darrah Cloud ($20) at the Playhouse (TICKETS)
Saturday, March 12th
- 10:00 am- 1:00 pm Free Playwriting Workshop (Free) at the Pope Marine
- 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm Open Rehearsal for Port Townsend’s Christmas Carol (Free) at the Playhouse
- 2:00pm- 3:30 pm One- Act Readings ($10) at the Pope Marine (TICKETS)
- 3:30pm- 5:00 pm Open Rehearsal for Posthumous Democrat at the Playhouse (Free)
- 4:00pm-5:45pm Insta-Play at the Pope Marine (Free)
- 6:00 pm- 7:00 pm Panel Discussion (Free) at the Playhouse
- 7:30pm- 9:00 pm One- Act Productions ($15) at the Playhouse (TICKETS)
- 8:00 pm- 10:00 pm War Stories Reading ($10) at the Pope Marine (TICKETS)
Sunday, March 13th
- 10:00 am- 1:00 pm Advanced Playwriting Workshop ($75) at the Pope Marine (TICKETS)
- 1:30 pm- 3:00 pm One-Act Productions ($15) at the Playhouse (TICKETS)
- 3:00pm- 4:45 pm Working Drafts- Escorting Tom ($10) at the Pope Marine (TICKETS)
- 5:00 pm-6:30 pm Port Townsend’s Christmas Carol Reading ($10) at the Playhouse (TICKETS)
- 6:30 pm- 7:30 pm Pass Holders Party (FREE TO PASSHOLDERS) at the Playhouse
- 7:30 pm- 9:30 pm Posthumous Democrat Reading ($10) at the Playhouse (TICKETS)
A workshop designed to get everyone writing for the stage, which will also benefit anyone working on a novel. We will begin by reading a short play aloud, then break into groups to work on scenes inspired by the play. We will focus on creating character, building momentum and finding ways to make dialogue work and sing at the same time. FREE
Come prepared to write and listen to the work of others through exercises designed to inspire new theatrical ideas. Feedback will be focused and intense.
$75 Also included as part of a $95 Writers Pass. No prerequisite.
Kernel of an Idea. A community conversation with visiting artists takes an in-depth look at how dramatic writers move from concept to creation. With Darrah Cloud, Linda Dowdell, Richard Dresser, and moderated by PlayFest Director, Jeni Mahoney. FREE
By Christopher Clow
What do you get for the man who has nothing?
Stay Tuned, Or Special Coverage of the Apocalypse will Resume after this Commercial Break:
By Doug Given
Imagine too many channels…and nothing on.
A Rondo, Darkly:
By D.D. Wigley
A birthday. A death day. An anniversary.
One-Act Staged Readings
Seeing the Bears:
By Judith Glass Collins
A vintner and a pot farmer compete for the best buzz.
If You Think You Are Mistaken:
By Hewitt Brooks
Tomorrow’s another day. Or is it?
The Posthumous Democrat:
By Darrah Cloud
A composer’s famous, connected conservative father leaves her a legacy both enormous and crippling.
Port Townsend’s Christmas Carol: A Ghostly Musical
By Linda Dowdell & Denise Winter
When Victorian Port Townsend’s most enterprising proprietress is visited by ghosts from her past and future, questions of conscience, family and community arise.
By Richard Dresser
A Vietnam vet is finally receiving the recognition he deserves when a knock at the door brings a horror more profound than anything he faced on the battlefield.
MORE FESTIVAL FEATURES:
Bring a dish to share and meet the playwright community that’s been cultivated over the festival’s 20 years. FREE
Post-play discussions follow every performance event. Join in conversations with our playwrights and provide your feedback to further the creative process. FREE
Drop in and take a look behind the scenes at full-length plays in development. FREE
Write a brief play on the spot and see it performed instantaneously. Join the fun as a playwright, actor, or audience member. No experience necessary! FREE
Come experience cold readings of new scripts by selected local and regional playwrights. New this year! We will be featuring TeenLab scripts and a full-length script by guest playwright Duane Kelly, Escorting Tom.